Why is it...

...that people can be soooo self absorbed?

I hesitate to share this story, but it brings forward a very important point I believe, so I am going to.

On my way to work in the morning, I usually stop at the local Gas & Sip (smirks) for a cup of coffee, and maybe a bearclaw. This particular stop is pretty busy in the morning, since most of the locals stop there.

There was a line for the coffee machine, which is not unusual. As a woman approached the machine, she discovered that the hot chocolate dispenser was not working right. So the gentleman behind her, who I happen to know a little (I live in a pretty small little bedroom community) steps up, and tries to help. He futzed with it for bout 2 minutes, pretty much making a mess, then gave up and left.

This woman thanked him for his attempt, then just stood there, obviously disappointed that she was not gonna be able to get her morning hot chocolate fix. Everybody else just kinda stood around, some were bitching, some were just, I don't know, in a daze.

Being a somewhat handy guy, I moved up and poked around a bit on the machine. When the other guy started, only the hot chocolate was broken. But now, all the dispensers were not working. So I opened it up, pulled the hot chocolate cartridge out, pulled all the parts off, inspected them, then washed them all in the sink right next to it.

I fiddled with all the parts, cleaned them, made sure there was no blockages, and carefully put it all back together. This took me all of about 5 minutes. After getting everything back into place, I closed the front panel, and all the lights showed it was ready to go again.

I took the womans cup, emptied it into the sink, and put it under the hot chocolate dispenser, and VIOLA! Hot chocolate began to pour out, just like it is supposed to.

What I didn't realize at this point, is that everybody in the place had gathered around to watch me work. When the hot chocolate started to pour, I got a huge round of applause. It actually scared the crap out of me, cause I was not paying any attention to anybody else, as I focused on this dispenser.

The woman thanked me profusely, which was very sweet. I got my coffee, and my bear claw (which I was given for free), and was on my way.

The moral of this story?

There are many things I try and teach my children, and I try to live myself. 1) Don't start something, unless you intend to finish it. A job half done, is not begun, as they say. and 2) If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

I was just getting soo pissed at all the people who were just standing around...bitching, complaining, and blaming others for their woes, waiting for someone ELSE to deal with the issue. I cannot be like that. If I see that I can do something, I will do it. If I cannot do anything, I will go on my merry way, and not be any worse for it.

The 2 people working at this place, are very nice and helpful people. It was very crowded, and they were dealing with customers on other issues as this all was happening. There really was no way either one of them could have made over there to deal with THIS issue, when there were so many other issues going on. When I tried to refuse the free coffee and bear claw, the shift leader was VERY insistent that I take them. Who was I to argue.

One other thing I try and teach my sons. Always leave a place better than how you found it. That actually applies to people too. I always try to leave any interactions with people, with them feeling better than when I found them.

I find the best way to teach, is to model. SHOW them how to be, and kids will learn.

Anyway...I hope ALL of you have a fantastic day!
0 Responses