Slap me some Skin Bro! (Nice Rant!)

(I call it a nice rant, because I am not really angry, just a bit frustrated)


OK, I am going to rant here for a few minutes.  I don't mean any disrespect with this, it is just me venting my frustration.

I had a friend recently want to show me a skin shop she "found" (I had already known about it).  They had some new skins, so I figured I would get some demo's just to look them over.

I happen to love my current skin, but even that designer has a new one out, so I decided to get a demo of that one also..just for some fun comparisons.

Here is my complaint.  I collect the demo's of these new skins.  They appear in a folder in my inventory.  I look in the folders and they have the "name" of the skin, and usually some number reference.  There is no way for me to know what demo skin is what.  I have to try them all on to find the one that I saw in the store.

Granted, I am kinda picky on my facial features (I am partial to beards), and I would probably end up trying them all on at some point, but it would be REALLY helpful if there was textures included in the demo pack showing each face, and the name of the skin in the folder that matches it.

Guys are not big shoppers, and when we have to sort through things over and over because we are not sure which one is which, we get VERY frustrated.  I really makes us NOT want to buy a new skin at all, because it is just too frustrating.  Woman have a memory geared for this kind of thing, men do not.

Here is my suggestion, if anybody cares to take it.  In each demo folder, have a texture that is a mosaic of all the skins included, probably just the face shots like you have at your store.  This may be harder than I think given the limits of texture sizes, but maybe not.  On each picture, have a way to identify each skin, so I can look at at the folder, and see exactly what skin matches with the pictures.  I personally would also include a close-up shot of each one, so we can see it in the picture better, but the mosaic is key, because we can sort through them nice and easily to find the skin we saw in the shop, and try it on.

Personally, I think that each group should include all the skin tones, but that might be being a bit too picky.  If a mosaic is included in each demo pack, its not hard to get each tones demo pack, and look to see which one I want to try on, and then do it.

Outside of that, I am soo happy that men's skins have been improving so much.  Cudo's to the creators who are amazingly talented, and are devoting their time and energy into creating these fantastic skins!

7 Responses
  1. Rai Blaylock Says:

    It would be helpful. I can see the guy stand point. I usually snag and go home and try on ones and also have a notecard open of the ones I want to try on. But this is because that is how my mind works with skins which I realize isn't what everyone else does. You make a good point though for the many guys that get caught up in other things. It is hard sometimes to stop and sit down to try all those demos and see details. Plus with all the different facial hair options and so forth, I can see how it could be a headache. I mean after all if a guy goes into a store for a toothbrush, he will walk out with it. Where as a woman if she goes into a store to buy one, she may walk out with so much more. So it makes sense to possibly handle male skins a little differently. Though this does bring up the question of should this also be in female skin packs. Personally I think that probably this should have become maybe a standard thing with skins if you have more then one or two demos skins in a folder.


  2. I would think Rai, that with all the make-up options available for women these days, that a similar mosaic would be helpful also.

    But given that I am a guy, I just know what frustrates me with it all.

    Thanks for the comment!


  3. Rai Blaylock Says:

    I know that some for some skins for women they do. But not all of them out there. Sometimes you just get a screen shot. But remember I take notes. This usually involves looking at the specific skin I like (be it like I am going to buy it just to get a name or go into edit mode on the box to get the name of the skin) and then record it. But I would stop doing that if there was a key to it all.


  4. And that is a lot of work, just to be able to see the skin you want, and for most guys, I think they would give up in frustration.

    And that leaves a bad taste in their mouth, to wanting to buy a new skin.

    In my humble opinion of course. :)


  5. I soooo agree.

    I either stay at the store so I can easily see and try on the ones I'm interested in, or go home, get frustrated trying on makeups I won't wear and TP back to the shop to look at the display. Then TP home to look at the full body.....if I still care by that time...odds are I don't.


  6. Aeriona Says:

    Not only do I love this idea, but I whole heartedly agree on the female skins as well! MANY make-up options, freckles, etc. make it tough to remember the one you want. If we are going to go this far...let's ask that everyone that makes clothes ad a pic ;)textire too! That way I don't have to and I can work through my cluttered closets and my unknown outfits!


  7. I know that creators are extremely busy, and have Real Lives too, but it seems to me to be a good marketing tool, to help sell even MORE items.

    Just my humble opinion though. :)

    Thanks for the comments ladies!