Funny think happened....

...on the way to...social networking.

I had an interesting little thought the other day.  I was perusing Plurk and there was a little note from someone about what they were doing.  Cleaning out a desk I think it was.

Now, normally I get a bit pissy about stupid shit like that.  I have a niece on facebook that post about EVERY LITTLE THING SHE DOES during a day.  Frankly, I don't care that you just woke up, and brushed your teeth.  (Of course she only does that because she posted about how she woke up one day, had breakfast and everything else she did to get ready, and did NOT brush her teeth, so I gave her hell *chuckles).

Anyway, I have facebook for RL, and Plurk for SL.  I can barely stand Facebook, but I do love Plurk.  Yes, on Plurk, people post about what they are doing, and I accept that.  I think it is because all my friends on Plurk are SL people, and there is a certain amount of "this is just about having fun and being silly with friends" that I accept with this group.  We are all sharing a very strange and exciting experience in Second Life, even if we are not all on each others friends list inworld.

But what really just made me laugh my ass off the other day, was again a plurk about cleaning out a desk, that deteriated into a plurk about sex toys.  I was just laughing so hard, and it was somewhat typical of this group of SL people.

I have never seen that happen on Facebook, although I bet some people could tell me it does.  Because Facebook (or MyFace as my older sister calls it) is mostly Real Life (unless you have an SL Facebook, which it seems more and more are doing that) and Real Life public chatter rarely degenerates into sex toy discussions, or surprise buttsecks (unless you are in a public restaurant in NYC with your 3 best girlfriends, but I digress).

I like Plurk for many reasons.  I like its format. It is easy to manage, easy to follow many people, and has a certain amount of customization that you can do.  Facebook drives me crazy, and as technical as I am, I still have issues with it.

But its more than just the "interface" of Plurk that I like.  I think it's the people that are there.  Sure I have my "fans" from indonesia, but for the most part the people that I follow, and that follow my plurks are all from Second Life.  It's almost like we are just one big family.

Now of course every family has issues.  As much as we all are non-judgemental, we also have times when we are VERY judgemental, even on what I would consider very stupid stuff.  But, for the most part we as a group, are very loving, caring, and fun people.  We even have our factions from what I can tell, but that is expected with any large family.

I thought it was interesting that Plurk added an option in the "where are you from" part of the Plurk profile for "Second Life".  I read somewhere that Second Life members were the largest "subgroup" of people on the service.  Just shows the power in numbers!

Anyway, as with Second Life, there is a certain amount of freedom that people feel on thier Plurks, and that is what I really find interesting about it all.  What do people do when they feel free?  Free to express themselves, with minimal judgements, and hopefully no impact on thier Real Lives.  Does it bring out the true selves? Does it give people the outlets they do not have in RL?  I think it does.  And that is what makes it sooo interesting, and soooo much damn fun!

So why am I writing all of this?  Well, I just wanted to say thank you too all my plurk friends, for even if we are not "friends" in Second Life, I enjoy you being on my timeline, and hope that I contribute as much to yours as you do to mine.  Yes, even you in those "other" factions.  You are part of the family, and that makes you special.

Have a wonderful day and always remember, family sticks together!
0 Responses