Another rant?

So, I decided to hang a bit at the welcome area, cause it has been so long since I had. I wanted to see what newbies are getting exposed to, when they are just starting out.

It really hasn't changed much...if at all actually, and there always seems to be a steady stream of people coming in and out. But a couple of things struck me though.

First of all...WHAT is up with unsolicited friend requests? This is analogous to somebody walking around, handing out their business card, to EVERYBODY they meet. Walking down the street, handing them to everybody. WHY WHY WHY would I accept one of these requests? To be nice? so I can just delete it later?

I often wonder, why people seem to think that social interactions that don't work in the Real World, would work in Second Life. I mean...yes...we are all avatars, but there is a real person BEHIND that avatar, typing at a keyboard....controlling that avatars speech, movements, etc. Is it just me that wonders these things?

Second, the unsolicited landmarks to clubs. Which, I guess, is like hiring some kid, to stand at the bus station, handing out flyers for some underground band at a club or something. I rarely take those in RL, so again....no so much in SL either.

but, I suppose the random Landmark would not be so bad to a newbie, looking for something to do, or some place to see. I remember going all over when I started, looking at everything I could find. So maybe I should not rant about THAT one..:)

Have to say though, there are some very helpful people on at the Welcome Area. There always seems to be a Mentor around, which I would imagine is VERY helpful. I did chat with a few, and they seemed to be very knowledgeable, and helpful to those who asked questions.

Since I am a HUGE people person, and an avid profile reader, its always entertaining to just sit down, and watch the goings on. Seeing how different people dress themselves, what they say about themselves in their profiles, how they interact with other avatars, etc. Makes for HOURS of entertainment....let me tell you.

It seems many people use the Welcome Area, as a home base. It allows you to set your home there, so when you log in, you are in a familiar spot, each time. And I would think, that if you hang there enough, you would make some friends, which is always good too. :)

So, I guess, what started out as a rant, really, is more of an endorsement? The Welcome Area is not ALL bad!....:) who woulda thought.

But...still want to point out...only request a friendship, from somebody you have at LEAST talked to a bit, and maybe have established some sort of rapport with. The random friend request, is RARELY accepted.

Just my $.02 lindens.

Till next time
2 Responses
  1. I was visiting a newbie area.. and a vampire was requesting a bite.. before i even had the opportunity to rezz.. that's just taking advantage of people in order to play that dumb vampire game..

    sitting there to help people is one thing.. to prey one them.. that's shit.


  2. Hi Jordyn!

    I agree completely. I get those bite requests just by walking around in SL, its pretty amazing. Again, would you walk up to someone, in RL, and ask them if you could bite them, even if its part of a game?

    Some might, but we all know how most people would react to it. What makes people think its OK in SL? I wish I knew!

    Thanks for the comment!